The focus of the volunteer training will be on the skills needed for the role. The areas covered in the training will be:
- Introduction to the role of an Independent Parental Support (IPS)
- Support for children and young people with additional needs
- Looking at the parents' perspective
- Listening and communication skills
- Resolution of disagreements
- Education Health and Care assessment
- Supporting parents to express their views
- Attending meetings and taking notes
- Supporting parents and carers to access relevant information and services
Training involves approximately 18 hours of face-to-face training in 3-hour sessions. There will also be opportunities to shadow existing staff and observe the way we work.
Volunteers will have on-going support and supervision and are required to attend refresher training sessions.